Friday, January 2, 2015

Voice of Youth




 

When I first heard the news of Christine Cavanaugh's passing a few days ago I was saddened, in many ways it was saying goodbye to a part of my childhood and many that grew up with her voice, of course her amazing voice work which helped to give me a great respect for animation both in US and Japan and the rest of the world will never leave us. We will be showing the many works she has done to the next generation especially if some of us gripe that American cartoons just aren't what they used to be. There are of course many exceptions even to those of us that are the most critical.


      Christine's talent surpassed the average voice acting which is often the way the voice sounds, used for the characters it would fit best, she instead had the talent to use many voices for many characters that helped to make them iconic. Among these voices we've seen Dexter, the boy genius from Dexter's Laboratory, Chucky Finster from the Rugrats and Gosayln Mallard from Darkwing Duck. Not to mention she was Babe and had a long list of roles she played on TV beyond animation. Often her voice acting reminded me of voices of old in animation, talented voice actors that also used a long range of voices, personal favorites like Mel Blanc and June Foray just to name a few. In many ways the shows of my childhood were built on the foundation of the shows these voice actors were in. Which happened to be of my childhood as well. It took me some time to articulate what I really wanted to say if I should say anything at all after all there is respect in life, at least to me there should be and questioned whether I should risk challenging this by writing anything about it. However I came to the conclusion that celebrating her works and what they meant was far better than remaining silent when I wanted to express how much her work helped to impact me.  So if you're unaware of the shows she's been in or films which is nearly impossible I encourage you to look into her works to celebrate the talent of this amazing voice actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment